Wednesday, March 31, 2010

f**k!


Maybe its my pedigree, maybe its my underdeveloped vocabulary, or maybe I'm just a big ol' sinner... but I love expletives!
Curse words, bad words, pejoratives, profanity and obscenities really make language fun. I do realize that obscenities are subtractive to our language. I mean, with so many words to describe a situation, why use one of 10 overused profanities and assign it to every type of situation? But that could also be an argument for obscenities- they are malleable in any situation. Hmmm?

Well, for one thing, I think expletives show emphasis. Yes. They f-ing do!

There's also the "bad" element to using curse words. Everyone loves to be bad, right? Break the rules a little? All our lives we are told by authority figures not to curse, so when we finally have control over our words, why not?

I would also argue that using expletives is extremely cathartic. This may be the ultimate reason that tend to love them so. If something terrible happens, you almost always feel better if you shout out quite loudly "Sh**! F**k! Da**it!".

It just feels good

File-Profanity.svg.png

No comments:

Post a Comment