Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Best Things in Life are Free?


Today, one of my students wrote in his journal "Money makes people happy". As I was perusing the class and checking papers, I come across this student's writing and I say "Really, money makes people happy? But Sergio, you can't buy happiness." So, he says "I know that Ms. Barbee, but you can buy stuff and the stuff makes you happy. Like clothes, cars, video games, houses, and food to make you and your family have full bellies".

Touche, Sergio!

I don't know what's more troubling, the fact that tons of people would agree with Sergio, or the fact that I couldn't really think of anything to say to him.

Yes, shoulda-coulda-woulda.

I might have been fantasizing about a new pair of jeans...

Or maybe I might have said this:

Yes Sergio, money can buy you things. And yes, having these things can make you happy. But the happiness brought by those things is merely temporary. You are always going to want more clothes, cars, video games, houses and food. So, money never really permanently satisfies those wants. True happiness lies in relationships with others, contentment with oneself, and...

I'm still trying to figure out the rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment