Monday, March 22, 2010

ponytail anxiety



Spring has sprung! Warm weather is here! Which means...ponytails!

I have some apprehension and anxiety surrounding the ponytail. I don't know why. Maybe its because my mom, who only ever told me if I looked 'beautiful' or 'trashy', always told me I look better with my hair down. Maybe I'm remembering the pain of carrying around the weight of a large mass at the back of my head constantly pulling down, ouch. Maybe I'm just worried about looking a little too much like a man. Or, maybe this says something about my deep rooted need not to be tied down or back, rather.

I know that the ponytail can be done well. There are hundreds of millions of thousands of women who may even argue that the ponytail is better than the hair down look, but I just don't know. Of course, I understand the functionality of the ponytail- get hair out of face. Yes, and I employ the ponytail quite often for its purpose. But when it comes to ponytail for styles purpose, I just can't seem to go there.

There are many ways to wear a ponytail- low down and classy, high and sporty, middle and cheerleader, purposefully messy, or dreadfully slicked down. Maybe I just need to keep at it until I find my ponytail niche. That may be my ultimate problem though- Ugh...the thought of having to work at anything that hard makes me exhausted and it seems like a misdirection of energy and care. I may just continue to wear my hair down for eternity. Wild and free. I may even stop brushing it altogether. How do you like that?

3 comments:

  1. OMG! I totally wore my hair in a ponytail today too! And I NEVER wear a ponytail. NEVER! Weird...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to put BOTH your bitches hair in ponytails. (what about High Bun?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look beautiful always (to me). You could shave your head and you would still be gorgeous. I have always thought you had the perfect shaped head (not like mine - round and with a large forehead) so any hair style, including all ponytails would work. Doing what feels best is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete