Sunday, January 2, 2011

To tell or not to tell?


It's the start of the new year and all around people are making promises to themselves and their loved ones. Ways they can improve their lives, things they want to stop doing and general amendments to the day to day to induce happiness. But the big question on my mind is are you a teller or not a teller? That is to say do you discuss your resolutions with those around you or keep them to yourself?
Honestly, I can see the merit in both- the tellers have the world holding them accountable for their promises. If you want to lose weight or quit smoking, talking about it to the people around you ensures that when you pick up that cigarette or have an extra doughnut your loved ones can support you- or eat your doughnut.
The merit in not telling is much more understated, and really I can't quite explain it other than saying that it's nice to have a little secret with yourself. It also seems more real to me somehow. Rather than just choosing a resolution that sounds like a resolution, or something that you can talk about with others, you can truly search deep down into your soul and find what needs to be done. Not having to talk about it allows you to be more honest with yourself.

Personally, I am of the not telling camp. And when the tellers ask my resolutions, because it's always the tellers who ask, I usually make something up just so the tellers have something to talk to me about. That's a pretty fun secret to have too.

Except now, it's not really a secret anymore.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment: