Saturday, January 15, 2011

A day of hardcoredness



After the marathon in October, I'd been keeping most of my long runs under 10 miles. It's nice after you've been hardcore training, that is to say running 15-20 miles on a Saturday morning, to cut it back a bit to a nice steady 8 or 9. It feels easy, yet still still long. Today though, not only did I up my miles to the no-she-didn't double digits at a whopping 10 miles! I also ran said 10 miles at sub 10 minute pace! 9:45 to to be exact. This is good for me. Real good.

So good that after my run I ate all this:




Seriously, I did. And yes, that is fried chicken atop a waffle drizzled with honey mustard and sprinkled with powdered sugar, with mac and cheese on the side. I know!

There's a newish chicken and waffles restaurant in Downtown Durham called Dame's Chicken and Waffles. If you don't know, chicken and waffles is mostly a southern soul food phenomenon of deliciousness made trendy in the recent years. I mean, Snoop Dogg, Gladys Knight, Ashton Kutcher, Charles Barkley, and Shaq have all been spotted downing chicken and waffles within the last year. Gladys even owns her own chicken and waffles diner in Atlanta.
We were all skeptical of this combination; but it proved worthy of it's laud. The perfect meal, really. If you live close by, go! Like, stop what you are doing right now and go, preferably following some kind of exercise so as not to feel total guilt and remorse as a result of the debauchery of this meal.
I might see you there; I'm just waiting until I'm not full anymore so I can go back and try to jerk chicken and waffles with spicy hot BBQ sauce. Woah.

No comments:

Post a Comment