Monday, March 12, 2012

Swamplandia!

I am currently reading Swamplandia! which looks like this:



Man, is this book fun!  I'm enjoying reading this book more than any book that I've read recently. I'm racing home from stuff to read it, setting my alarm an hour early to read it, and choosing to read it over catching up on new Gossip Girl episodes.  That says something!
It's super well-written, it's identifiable, realistic, mystical, suspenseful, hilarious, and just plain old fun.  Russell's strength is definitely in her taut descriptive metaphors comparing people on the mainland in little pink and white apartment buildings to cutlery in a drawer and a TV infomercial zone out to medicine- a thick syrup of information. This type of simile isn't necessarily decorous or flamboyant like Garcia Marquez, but just so perfectly describes things in a beautifully dirty cut and dry way that is representative of the novel overall.  Read it!

 I do prefer this cover though (Why do publishers feel the need to change covers?): 


No comments:

Post a Comment