Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Secret Baby Barometer


Once you get to be "my age" people start to do things. Things like...buy curtains, get new roofs, and worst of all...have babies. To insure that I am not merely feeling the pressure of others my age and their choices, sometimes I like to check in with myself by asking things like:

- Beer or baby? Beer...no question.
- The house is burning down. Do you grab your jeans or your baby? Jeans...again, no question.
- A baby is crying, do you feel sad or annoyed? Annoyed, every time.
- At baby showers, how do you really feel? Happy for person or pitying the person? Sorry, but I think I'm pitying you.
-Someone asks you to hold their baby. How do you feel? Ewe.
- You're out to dinner with your husband, and a couple with a baby walks by. You look at each other and think what? Thank god that is not us!
-How do you feel when you see tiny little shoes and tiny little clothes at the store? I'm usually wondering why they don't make those in my size.
-And finally, at the thought of holding your own child, what are you thinking? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

- Please note: this is not to say that I have even pondered the thought of baby for me...only wondering if I "should" be thinking that. And I have deduced, that indeed I should not.

Cold? Maybe. Heartless. Don't think so. Immune to cuteness? No way...I have Edith and Viktor for that!

2 comments:

  1. Very funny. I laughed out loud throughout. And I can't imagine you with a baby.....yet.

    ReplyDelete