Monday, September 6, 2010

A fun thing!!!

Last night we went to see the Paperhand Puppet Intervention's puppet show. Every year they put on a seemingly innocent puppet and hippie song laden production at the Forest Theatre in Chapel Hill (go tar heels and go UNC DDA). But in actuality, these puppets are gigantic and have a message. They always have a message. Always. And its not a very subtle one. But that is what I love about these people- they don't have to pretend to be anything other than hippies with giant puppets made of paper mâché and trash. And people love them and give them money...and you can drink beer at the Forest Theatre while you watch! I mean, YES!
Maybe it was the Hoptober fest that i drank or maybe it was the 18 miles that I ran earlier that day, but this year was definitely the best of these puppet shows that I have ever seen. It was beautiful and poignant and I wish I could go back every day. Far better than watching Gossip Girl or Top Chef for sure!
Here are a few highlights from the show (also note that you are allowed to take flash photos and no one is all up in your face about it). on a side note but also funny and indicative of how cool these people are- mid show, tow trucks start pulling up to tow people who are illegally parked on UNC's stupid parking Nazi campus, and the puppet people stop the show to warn us... Yay! Down with the man!!!

Giant puppet people on stilts dancing in a circle:


Little girl and goat man on the sea of lost knowledge:


Giant animal puppets dancing in harmony (before the human arrives, of course):


Matthew and I contemplative and mesmerized:


Giant Poseidon trash puppet made from all of our leftover crap (I know!!!!!):


And finally, I got my cupcake...or 4 rather and a mini peanut butter pie:



No comments:

Post a Comment