Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Rebel Without a Cause? OR How I Learned to Trick Myself


I am crazy.

Here's why:

Last night I had planned to do an evening run. When I got home from school I hung out, had a snack, and read for a bit. Slowly, I start to secretly tell myself that maybe I won't go for a run after all. "It's been a long day" I tell myself, "Maybe I should just relax". So, I decide not to run. OK, right? No. As soon as I decide not to run, I start wanting to run!

What I learned about myself (well, actually I think I already knew this, but it was just reinforced) is that I like to do what I'm not supposed to do or what goes against a previously made decision. The rebellion in it is too much to turn down. There is something so satisfying about just saying "F*** it!" to a decision or a plan.

So, how I learned to trick myself: Reverse psychology. I think I just need to decide the opposite of what I need to do- then I will end up doing what I'm supposed to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment