Sunday, May 23, 2010

Biodynamic




Yesterday, I was transported back to my childhood while picking strawberries. Jason and I also learned something new along the way. Here's how it happened:

Friday: I say "Hey! Let's go pick strawberries tomorrow"
Jason says "Ok!"

We found a place about 10 miles north of Hillsborough called Whitted Bowers Farm
We drove there, got cute little picking baskets and proceeded to time travel to our strawberry picking childhoods.

Another cool thing- Whitted Bowers Farm is certified organic and practices biodynamic farming.
What exactly is biodynamic farming? Well, the bearded man in camping chair who worked at the farm explained it as a mystical practice of farming which followed astrological calendars, old school harvest mentality, and good old fashioned love for the crops. They are a fully sustainable farm. They don't use any pesticides. All bug friends are welcome because they have a place too. And maybe if you put the strawberries next too the garlic, the garlic might deflect the strawberry bugs and vice versa. That sort of thing. They also use solar power and bio fuel for all of the farm equipment. So, basically nothing shitty touches these fruits and veggies, including shitty vibes.

I like this idea. I like to think that as I eat these berries, I am filling myself with pure love and energy from nature. Delicious.

3 comments:

  1. one of the best things ive done is to work in an organic farm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and you wore your toms!!! PERFECT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red toms!! How appropriate.

    ReplyDelete