Monday, November 15, 2010

Pushing up the Sky


So, today I read a legend with my students. It was a Native American story that explained stars as holes in the clouds through which the light from the moon shines. The holes in the clouds were created when people pushed up the sky with long poles carved from fir trees. All of the tall people in the village were bumping their heads on the sky! Rather than ousting the "giants", the village came together and decided to push up the sky.

Interesting.

This got me thinking about tall people. I'm married to one, and yet I never really think about what it must be like to be tall. Or what things must look like from way up there. What is it like to be looking down on everyone? Or to have everyone looking up at you? People always asking you to reach things? Not being able to find pants long enough? Or cars big enough? Bumping your head on the sky and whatever else is up there?


To the tall people of the world, we salute you. And I would gladly participate in a "sky pushing" just for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment