Wednesday, November 17, 2010

ink

There was a Ray Bradbury book that I read in middle school called The Illustrated Man. It was one of my favorite books at the time. It was a collection of short stories- each of which represented a tattoo on the illustrated man, a man who was covered from head to toe in tattoos. I can't really explain why I loved this book so much. But, now as I have gone back and thought about it and googled it, I'm remembering that all of the stories had something to do with the psychological struggle of people and their survival in a world where technology has propelled us into a place we might not be ready to handle. And even now, this is something that fascinates me.

I think about The Illustrated Man often, when I think about my tattoos. Now, I know for some of the older folks out there, tattoos are somehow socially unacceptable and a symbol of heathenism. But I like to think about tattoos as a way of artistically representing the chapters of my life.

Tattoos. Mementos of things that have meant something to us. The ways that we can illustrate our lives.
And as we all know, the best books are those with illustrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment