Thursday, November 4, 2010

don't mind if I do...


For some reason, this morning I've been thinking about people and how some people have an overwhelming need to be "polite". Now, I am all for politeness, but I think it has to come from the right place. We need to be polite for the right reasons, rather than being motivated by the self aggrandizing that can sometimes result from being "polite".
Be nice for the sake of being nice. NOT because it's what you should do. I hate should. Should automatically makes me want to NOT.

In my mind, I like to have a little private joke with myself by imagining little scenarios in which I take people up on all of their should be polite offers.

For example:

1. You are eating a delicious sandwich. I have already eaten. Out of obligation, you say "Oh! Uh, would you like to have my sandwich?" I say "Yes, why yes I would!" And I eat it. You watch, hungrily, as I eat your sandwich. He he he

2. It is cold outside. I am cold. You are cold. You offer me your coat. I take it. You are now wearing a tank top. I am wearing two coats. He he he

3. I am carrying a moderately heavy object. You offer to carry it for me. I give it to you and run ahead to talk to someone else. You are left behind carrying said heavy object. He he he

4. You have a cute baby. I say "Hey, that's a cute baby!" You give me your baby because it's the "polite" thing to do.

But, really, in all seriousness, let's be nice and polite for the sake of being kind to each other rather than for the sake of the imaginary should monster who says we have to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment