Wednesday, August 11, 2010

temporary vs. infinite


This week's yogic words of wisdom focused on the idea of temporary happiness vs. infinite happiness. Think about it.

Infinite happiness is, of course, self realization and connection with the Self. Temporary happiness is, well, everything else. This got me thinking about attachment to things in life and how that is the root of all human suffering (or so the Buddhists say).
So really, temporary happiness eventually leads to suffering of some kind.

Yes, I get it. I understand. But does that mean that a delicious glass of wine and a good meal, a run in the woods, or a leather jacket will eventually lead to suffering?
I think not. I think that the attachment to and reliance upon these things could lead to suffering. But, the enjoyment of these things in the moment, no strings attached, could merely be a means to an end. The end being, if you're lucky, self realization.

No comments:

Post a Comment