Tuesday, August 10, 2010

altruism?


I have a question: Is true altruism real, or even possible?

I would like to think yes...but I think that I think no.

Here's why:

I think that too many people act for the benefit of themselves. And those who say they are acting for the benefit of helping others usually are, but only to receive the recognition of having done something kind. I wonder, like really wonder, that if nobody was watching and no one knew the kind acts that people do, if people would stop doing them all together because they weren't being rewarded in some way for the kind act. Unless that reward came to the person from his or herself and said person could get joy solely from the act of helping, but then: Is the person doing the act only to feel the self produced joy? OR...is it altruism?

Like I said, I want to believe that it's real...but I just don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment