Friday, June 4, 2010

Passive Aggressive....ewe


I think one of my biggest pet peeves is passive aggressiveness. Why do people feel the need to half- assed ask for things or ask for the opposite of what they want in hopes that you will read their mind? Maybe it just a southern thing...an old white people southern thing. They think they are being polite by not asking for what they want... Or they want to test the politeness of the other person by not directly making their request. If you read their mind, yay...you're officially a nice person! It's also a behavior more common in women. Why? Because secretly we are all afraid to ask for what we want out of life for fear of offending a man or stepping out of our place?

Example A:

woman: "Oh. I'm so thirsty. I wish I had something to drink"
man: " uh......would you like me to get you a glass of water?"
woman: "oh, well...sure!"

I like to mess with with these people and not respond to their passive aggressive behaviors. In doing this I feel great joy. I say nothing because I choose to only respond to direct requests for things. By responding to passive aggressiveness we are merely reinforcing this odious behavior in people.

Example B:

Teacher: "Oh...I'm so busy right now. I can't even get a minute to go to the bathroom" (teacher is hoping that I will offer to watch her class while she goes to the bathroom, which I would gladly do if she would just go right out and asked me)
Me: "Man, that is too bad. See ya!"

Just try it sometime. It feels great to not buy into the social grossness.

If you want something, just ask!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god. You know I was just thinking... I think nobody has ever *mentioned* me in their blog! I mean, I don't care, but, that's interesting, no? I mean, I'm a pretty interesting guy is all. Pretty, pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete