Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I think I'll retire to my room a little early this evening



On Saturday, Jason and I traveled an hour down the road to Lexington to visit his parents for his mom's birthday. They live at High Rock Lake in a freshly remodeled house...on the lake! They are retired and proceed to live the dream via pontoon boat rides, wine on the porch, big screen TVs, and relaxing in the hammock.

As I lay on the hammock, relaxing, I got to thinking about retirement...how awesome it is, but also how sad it is. It's amazing that one can work for the state for 30 years and then continue to receive their paycheck although they are not working, and rather they are relaxing at the lake house. It's also sad though that one might do a job that they dislike with their only hope being retirement 30 years down the road. I want to retire and relax. But, I don't want to do a job just for the sake of retirement opportunities. What a waste of 30 years!
Jason likes to quote his old basketball coach, who likes to quote someone as saying something about the journey being more important than the destination. Yes, that's a common idea to posit. The journey (life) is more important than the destination (retirement). I agree. I just wonder if I'll be singing the same tune when I'm 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment