Thursday, June 10, 2010

Freak out!


Oh man...

So, last night we watched The Road (Thank you, Netflix). It seriously freaked me out. I had read the book several years ago, and it seriously freaked me out then. I don't know why I went back for more!

The Road is a novel by Cormac McCarthy (some might remember him from No Country for Old Men...also seriously disturbing). It's set like, now, but after something catastrophic has happened to destroy civilization (nuclear war, perhaps?). The man (Viggo Mortenson) and his son (unknown little boy actor) are traveling on foot to the coast in hopes of finding something hopeful. They have a panoply of disturbing experiences on the road including a run in with people who have resorted to cannibalism!

Considering my recent obsession with apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic events, I was severely rocked by this film. Old man Robert Duvall even alluded to the warnings and signs posited via the Mayan calendar. 2012 maybe???

See it. Or better yet, read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment