Friday, September 6, 2013

What to Pack for Bikram Yoga Teacher Training

It's almost here and I am in a packing vortex as we speak. Not only do I have to figure out everything I need to survive in a hotel room in LA for 2 months of Bikram yoga, but I also am packing for a week long stint in NC prior to my departure for LA (with a wedding included just for sh*ts and giggles).

I've been reading A LOT of former Bikram Yoga Teacher Trainee's blogs lately. Apparently, thats what you do: you go to teacher training and you blog about it, so people like me can come along some years later, read about it and get freaked out/prepared.

I'm slightly ahead of the trend since I've been blogging for a couple of years now, but I will join the Bikram Yoga Teacher Trainee blog world for the next couple of months. I'll blog on Santosha about my experiences in training starting September 15.

For my first Teacher Training related post, I am amassing a packing list of what to bring to Teacher Training. This list is one part things I've read on other blogs, one part things I know I need to survive for 2 months, and one part things I anticipate I might need. Surely, after being there for a couple of weeks I'll have amendments to this list. Hopefully, I'll remember to add to it. And luckily, my wonderful hubby is driving down to bring me my car at the end of week 2, so if I forget anything he can bring it along.

So for now, I give you my packing list for Bikram Yoga Teacher Training Fall 2013:


WAIT!!!!  Before you begin to pack, remember there is no green allowed at training. Apparently, Bikram believes the color green to be bad luck. If you're caught wearing green you have to do a extra yoga on your day off. 
Now that that is out of the way, you can start packing.

Yoga Stuff: 

1 Mat (I ordered one on amazon and had it shipped to Bekah, thanks B!)
Dialogue
Yoga Outfits (11 tops, 11 bottoms, 2  sets per day, and a few extras) 
yoga mat spray (it's gonna get stinky)
sharpie (to label my mat)
Water Bottle (40 oz. Hydroflask)

Kitchen Stuff: (since I'll be living out of a hotel room)
Electric kettle
can opener
french press
coffee cup
small jar
cinnamon (for making Chia pudding)
knife (for cutting fruits and veggies)
baby cutting board
small containers for storage 
spoon, fork, knife
plate
bowl

Edibles: (I can buy stuff there but I sent a box of stuff to Bek, just in case)

Nuun
Lara bars
Salt n' pepper cashews (best things ever and can only be purchased at the Winco...as far as I know)
Sprouted Almonds
Chia
Green Plant Supplement


Clothes:
6-10 shirts 
dresses galore! (many for covering up before and after class)
awesome dress (for graduation)
4 pairs crop yoga pants (for posture clinics)
5-8 tank tops
2 pairs of jeans 
3 skirts
3 long-sleeve shirts 
1 light jackets
3 hoodies
2 light sweaters
2 bathing suits
3 bras
15 undies
4 pairs of socks (warm and cold mix)
cuddle clothes (warm and cold mix)
flip-flops
running shoes and a few running outfits (we'll see what happens with running)
cute shoes
boots
portable clothesline for hanging wet, nasty yoga clothes


Stuff:
Toiletries (whatever you fancy for showering)
face lotion
body lotion
lip balm
tweezers
dental hygiene things (toothbrush etc...) 
hair ties/barrettes
sunglasses 
Advil
Gummi Vitamins
re-usuable shopping bag

School Supplies/Electronics:
laptop
ipad
camera
charger cables for phone, laptop, ipad
moleskine notebook
pens, pencils
post-its
index cards
books

That'a all I got right now.
When I get there, I'll post an address of where all loving care packages can be sent...should you be so inclined to send salt n' pepper cashews, chocolates, or anything the color green for me to sneak a look at.

And now, to NC!





1 comment: