Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Peeing on the Wall




Every year, without fail, a 5th grader at our school gets in trouble for peeing on the wall in the boys' bathroom. I'm always baffled as to why someone would do this and why it happens every single year. Well, today I cracked the case.
As I walked out of my classroom on my way to the bathroom, I suddenly had the urge to do something crazy just to shake things up a bit. And, for a split second peeing on the wall crossed my mind. Now, I am an adult. I have self control and a sense of perspective, so I was able to contain myself. Then, I remembered how when I was in 5th grade I used to sit on the windowsill of the second story girls bathroom at my elementary school and dangle my legs out the window. Some girls were scared by this (rule followers!), others thought I was crazy for doing this (robot children!), but for me it was a small way that I could carve out a moment for myself in the rote routine of my public school day. My thoughts went to the bevy of misunderstood boys from the past 5 years. Then, I realized it: the boys are so bored out their minds that they must do something to break the monotony of the day. Peeing on the wall is an outlet for them...literally. It may seem disgusting and necessary to you and I, but to a 10 year old it is the perfect way to exercise one's independence and control of their situation. It says "Even though I'm stuck in here all day, I can do what I want for a couple of minutes and man, it's thrilling!"

Lessons Learned: Students need ways to feel independent.
Students need to break out of their routines sometimes.
Students need to go against the grain sometimes, constructively of course.
But for cleanliness and safety reasons, we need to find alternatives to peeing on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment