Saturday, April 9, 2011

Metaphor and Symbolism




How do you know when a writer is using metaphors and symbolism just for the sake of it? And, when do you know if you're just too stupid to understand what they are saying?

Do writers think about this when they are writing? Do writers purposely choose figurative language that they know is accessible to a wide audience? Do writers choose swoopy imaginative language to to sound cool? And, is it possible for a symbol to mean something different to different readers?

I'm just wondering.

2 comments:

  1. As I writer, personally, I frequently think about my metaphors.

    In fiction, I always think about my metaphors.

    My primary goal is to convey. I cannot conceptualize my audience, so I don't try to. Rather, I try to think about what is the best possible way to say it.

    How can I paint the picture ideally?

    Lots of times a good metaphor won't come. Don't use a bad one as a substitute. Less glamour is better than confusion.

    The verbal, conceiving how I would tell it at a party over a beer to make it a good story, often helps me.

    F*ck, if I know why anyone else does what they do.

    (Some people are really presumptuous. ;)

    If I can ask, what made you think of this post?

    Who's swoopy, loopy, curvy, swervy language were you subjecting yourself to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. Thanks for your thoughts. I was reading Shane Jones' The Failure Six. Quite interesting to say the least.

    ReplyDelete