Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A thing that I learned


Writing a children's book, and writing in general, is much harder than I thought. I, like my students, have always assumed that the goods will just flow forth when the time is right and BAM! Henceforth a book. It is not so. Writing is a process. Duh.
This might be one of the reasons that I enjoy blogging- I don't have to think about what I write or revise it at all. I vomit it out onto the Internet and people read it or they don't and that is that. Going back to what I write is terribly painful. Reading your work means hating it. Almost immediately I hate it all and want to start over, or worse, quit, burn it, and go drink a beer.

3 comments:

  1. I'm gonna start calling you Richard Blais if you keep talking like that : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait a minute, this all isn't extensively edited first?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! No, not quite. You couldn't tell from my ramblings and consistent mis-spellings?

    ReplyDelete