Friday, March 11, 2011

Orientation




Who decided that Right meant forward and Left meant backward? And who decided that Up meant forward and down meant backward?

I have always had a problem with my left and my right. I remember being in first grade and my teacher saying to the class "Alright everyone, if you write with your right hand come to this table and if you write with your left hand go to that table." Although I am indeed right handed, less people went to the left handed table, so I went there. From that moment on (who knows maybe before that?) I have been drawn to the left side. The left side feels right to me. This orientation to the left, has always confused me, and still to this day I get my right and left mixed up. I have to stop and think before telling someone to turn left or turn right.

Today it all came rushing back to me as I pushed the down button on the CD player in my car to skip to the next song. It just seemed right. Down- Forward. Up-Backwards. Why?

Is it wrong to want to push the down button to move forward? Am I dyslexic to think that left could be just as forward as right? Does it make me crazy to want to go right when I say left? And, who decides what is right?

1 comment:

  1. The universe is circular or maybe even spherical, makes your orientation as perfect as the next person's. What is conformity really good for anyway?

    ReplyDelete