Sunday, February 6, 2011

Super Bo(wl)ring




Today is the Super Bowl. I am in no way excited about or interested in football or the Super Bowl. I don't know why, but I've never been able to get in to football.
Here's what I do know:

1) No matter how hard I try, or how many people I ask, I do not understand football. Numerous boyfriends, friends and sports enthusiasts have tried to tutor me, but it just won't stick! Downs, goals, touchdowns...what?

2) I do like to drink beer and eat snacky foods and get belligerent with people, so therefore, I like to go to Super Bowl parties even though I don't watch the Super Bowl or care about it at all. Shouting and ranting at the TV? I'm in! I confess, I pretend. I pretend to like a team based upon colors, emblem, city locale, mascot, or under-doggedness. This year I pick the Steelers because I know 3 people who like them; plus Pittsburgh and I have a history.

3) I am not entertained at all by the commercials. Most Super Bowl pretenders at least find some solace in the commercials. I, however, find them, well...too commercial.

4) I do not like the intermission show (I mean half time- is that what you call it in football?) even though as a female and former studier of the show biz, I feel that I am supposed to feel tethered to the half time show and excited about the potential entertainment of it.

5) Even though i'm not much of a traditionalist, I do enjoy the camaraderie of the Super Bowl. It is somehow comforting to know that a majority of the people the United States are doing the same thing at the same time, like voting or Christmas.

So, I'm off to partake in American culture. I'll eat and drink too much and regret it tomorrow. It's the American way.

Happy Super Bowl friends! Go...Steelers?!

No comments:

Post a Comment