Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happily vacillating

closet-clothes-decide.jpg

Ah, decisions decisions! Life is full of them: Paper or Plastic? Crunchy or Soft? Flats or Heels? Hot or Cold? Regular or Decaf? Fried or Grilled? Beer or Wine? Chocolate or Vanilla? Dog or Cat? Go or Don't go? Who? Which one? Why? It's enough to make you go hide somewhere! But where???? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I am reminded of the word vacillating. I love this word!!! Other words which mean basically the same thing such as wishy- washy, flakey, and indecisive have such a negative connotation, but vacillating sounds like you're wishy washy with a purpose.

If I'm wishy washy, nobody wants to hang out with me because they're never quite sure if I'm going to show up. Maybe I make plans and cancel at the last minute. People might say "That Blaine, she's so wishy washy. You never can depend on her!"

wishy-washy.jpg


If I'm flakey, aside from the immediate image that conjures of pieces of my body flaking off, you might assume again, that you're never quite sure where I will be or what I'm going to do, maybe I'm even a big fat liar! "That Blaine never can be trusted! Why can't she just say what she means and mean what she says?!"

Same thing with indecisive. "Blaine and those annoying indecisive people! They always want you to make their decisions for them. Well, I'm through with that! I'm no friend of hers!"

But with vacillating, you can be sure that I am making intelligent decisions. I am always vacillating between very smart things. Vacillating is what I do when I don't want to act to hastily or make the wrong decision. Vacillating is a rare art form of decision making, actually.

So, to all indecisive, wishy washy, flakey flakes, from now on you can be happily vacillating with me. We vacillate, happily, and extremely intelligently, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment