Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Books on books on books on books

It's that time of year again! Time for the 2015 tournament of books presented by The Morning News. Each year, 16 of the year's best books are selected (somewhat arbitrarily and not without bias) to go head to head in a March Madness style bracket. Jason and I have tried to read as many of these books over the past few years and participate to the best of our ability, which usually ends up with me reading 1 or 2 books and Jason reading 7-10 of them. Even if I don't get to all of the tournament books by March, it's a great list of recommendations for the coming year to slowly plow through.

Yeah, I'm a slow reader.

Remember when I was reading The Goldfinch (a contender from the 2014 tournament of books) back in September and October and November and December? Well, I finally finished it! I mean, it's almost 800 pages long. It was great, and then I moped around for a while mourning the loss of this book which had been through so much with me (like, literally from NC to OR).

Now I'm reading this


It's from this year's tournament list and it's a great little book. And, by "little" I actually mean small, concise, cute, and very manageable. It's handheld, like a little clutch, and only 176 pages long. That's quite refreshing after the 800-page spans of The Goldfinch. Don't be fooled though by its size; this book is deep.
Not only is Dept. of Speculation small and deep, but it's confidence inspiring. I started it yesterday and I'll be done by tomorrow! A great start to my tournament season reading.

On to the next one...

No comments:

Post a Comment