Monday, July 1, 2013

Western States Newbie

Sometimes I'm a super-awesome, supportive wife and I spend my 48 hour weekend riding in a car for 20 hours, sleeping for 8 hours, and standing around in 102 degree weather staring at emaciated runners for 20 hours.

Thats just what I did this past weekend at the Western States 100. Yes, some people are crazy enough to run 100 miles in 100 degree weather. And yes, other people are crazy enough to give of themselves enough to support those crazies in their crazy endeavor. That's just what jason did this weekend as he paced and supported Megan Arbogast, trail running queen. I tagged along for the heat, the rattlesnakes, and a chance to get out of Eugene for a couple of days


Rattlesnake warning sign at the dog park
Winner Timmy Tim Olsen with the ripped shoulders at mile 48
It might be nice have people pour cold stuff on you and put food in your mouth for you

My ultra runner crush, Hal Koener looking sweaty and gross as he comes through the aid station
Here he is in a green cat shirt with some trophies. 
Here's Jason after supporting Meghan Arbogast. He can be seen here on irunfar's twitter media gallery. Hello, famous husband!
19 hours later they come in and Meghan takes 4th place

The pacers 
Would you believe that runners were coming in all night and we were camping on the field behind the track? Very little sleep had by all.

I guess when you run 100 miles in 19 hours people want to interview you

I know how you feel, Viktor


No comments:

Post a Comment