Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Just wait until the rains come...


Would you believe that the entire time we've been here in Oregon we've seen no rain? Not a drop. It's been beautiful, sunny, cool in the mornings and evenings, warm in the afternoon. In a word, perfect.  The locals keep telling us "Just wait until the rains come".  Apparently, it will become grey in November and stay grey until March or April.  It will be very wet. They sell slug and snail traps here! Hmmmm... I know that I like rain. I know that I love to curl up with a cup of coffee or a beer and read or do work in the rain. It will be interesting though to experience long periods of rain and it certainly will be interesting to possibly go weeks and weeks without seeing the sun. People say it can take some getting used to and become pretty depressing for some.  Some have suggested tanning, some have suggested vitamin D supplements, some have even suggested one of these:



It's a light box, or a sun lamp. Its light simulates the sun.  They cost about 150-200$. But if I get depressed this winter, I suppose it could be a worthwhile investment.  You can even set the thing to gradually light up in the mornings, to simulate the sun creeping in the windows at dawn.

Also of note regarding weather and seasons: this morning I realized that it was September. It doesn't feel like September to me. But I suppose my conception of September is based upon my experiences with the month September which are actually very limited to Septembers of NC. So, no, of course it doesn't feel like "September". But it is, in fact, September.



No comments:

Post a Comment