Wednesday, November 12, 2014

To be funny


There are some basic cultural differences between the East coast and the West coast. Of course, there are the obvious ones like the laid back attitudes vs. more direct, aggressive ones or that sprawling feeling vs. the crowded one. There are also other less palpable differences that one could only understand having lived in both places.
For me, the most stark difference between the East coast and the West coast is the sense of humor. Basically ya'll, I'm not funny here.  I've always considered myself to be a "funny" person, not comedian funny or anything, but funny enough that I bring a laugh to those close to me. Here though, I am not a funny person. No one laughs at my jokes. In fact, most jokes that I crack are received in absolute silence followed by distant sound of crickets chirping. What's up with that?

Aside from the fact that this has completely messed with my sense of self, it also has me very interested in this East coast/West coast cultural dichotomy. Like, what is it about my humor that is lost here? And what is it about the East coast, or more specifically my home, that better equips people to find the humor in my jokes? And on a larger scale, what does this mean about people in general?

Deep thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment