Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Did I ever mention that now I hate Halloween?


When I was a little girl, I loved Halloween. I loved to dress up, I loved to get candy, I loved watching Halloween specials on the Disney Channel.  I also loved the mystique of the dark-scary things, ghosts, haunted houses, monsters. and witches. It was a time when you could take a break from reality. Reality could be unexpected and mysterious.
Upon arrival to college, Halloween became nothing more than a new excuse to party with a costume on. Girls dressed up as slutty versions of whatever, and beer flowed like...I don't know...candy? Anyhow, I hated it. I hated the pressure to "have fun". What does that even mean? Fun isn't something that can be quantified by how much you drink or how slutty or ironic your outfit is or how amazing your plans are. Fun just happens, independently of holidays.
Now as I celebrate my first Halloween of my 30s, I'm feeling very indifferent about holidays altogether. Why bother celebrating when someone tell you to? Why not celebrate when YOU think it's time to celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment