Thursday, May 3, 2012

State of the (my) Union



Well, today is day 41 of this 60 day Bikram yoga challenge and I will be honest with you folks, I really want to quit at day 45 and here's why:

1) 15, 30, 45, 60, 90 days...who cares?  The idea is to do a lot of yoga, and I did that.
2) I am (literally) slowly but slowly desiccating. I fear for the future of my relationship with hydration. 
3) My nails have turned to wax paper.
4) My hair!  When it's not wet, it's extremely dry, and poofy.
5) My skin...it's dry and sallow.
6) I miss running and I'm ready to get back out there.
7) My thighs...once they were small ham hocks, and now they have morphed to giant watermelons (while I appreciate the extra muscle and strength, I am not thankful for the extra mass)
8) Laundry has become a daily occurrence.  I'd like to go a day without having to wash sweaty wet towels and Bikram clothes.


The demonstration is Sunday, which will be day 44.  I suppose I will go until Day 45, and see what happens.  If I am miraculously re-inspired, I will forge on.  But if I feel as though the demonstration is the perfect culmination to many days of hard work,  I'd like to think that there is no shame in stopping after 45 days.  45 days straight and a demonstration under my belt will be a huge accomplishment.  I won't be quitting yoga forever, I'll merely be changing my routine, re-incorporating running and giving my poor body a break from the heat and constant moisture.

 Maybe this is just a low point.  Mile 17 of the marathon: too far to quit, but too early to feel close to the finish.  Maybe my brain is merely rationalizing my desire to quit with excuses.



We shall see...

2 comments:

  1. You could be stretching the muscles and working the joints too much doing these series of poses in 105 degree heat. I think 45 days is a great accomplishment and just the time to stop - not good to sweat too much. You've gotten rid of the toxins and bad stuff - don't want to get rid of all the good moisture - like you said - dry skin and hair, etc. This must be a little boring by now as well? Switching to another physical activity at this time is good. My two cents...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title of this post!

    ReplyDelete