Thursday, February 2, 2012

The calm before the storm


This weekend will be mine and Jason's last official weekend of residence in Hillsborough. It's the end of an era. A short 3 year era, but the end of it nonetheless. It is bittersweet in a way. I will miss the small town feel of Hillsborough, hanging out at Cup a Joe where everyone knows us and we know them. I will miss our little house and our neighbors. I will miss our porch. I will miss running the grueling Occoneechee Mountain trail, which is right outside our door. I will miss the tiny town center, and the security that comes with living in a small town that nothing else is happening outside of a 4-5 block radius. But with that security also comes a feeling of suffocation and listlessness, which I will not miss. Seeing familiar faces everywhere is also a double edged sword, leading to contempt and a longing for anonymity. Our small house is great, but not a forever home. To miss a trail is normal and there are trails everywhere. When I begin to feel preemptively homesick for Hillsborough, I have to remind myself of these things and of the fact that change is gonna come and that change is good.

This last weekend in Hillsborough also demarcates the gateway to a short stint back in my hometown of Durham to bookend that last 29 years that I have lived in this area. All my life, all I have ever wanted was to get out of NC even though I kept finding myself here for various reasons, and finally the time has come. Again, bittersweet in a away. Durham has changed so much, and so have I. It will be fun to spend these last 6 months, before our great adventure across the country, having a great adventure in the new 'old stomping grounds'.

But for now, I will enjoy the brief calm before the storm (even if it does involve massive amounts of packing and freaking out).

No comments:

Post a Comment