Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wishing I could play the guitar


There was a brief time in college when I tried to learn how to play the guitar.

Actually, no, strike that. Before that, there was a brief time in 4th grade when I tried to learn how to play the guitar. I went to guitar lessons in the basement of a strange house (probably not that strange, but it seemed quite strange to 9 year old Blaine). My teacher was also a wierd man, who vaguely resembled Gary Busey in Point Break, named Decatur. I eventually fought to quit the guitar based on the aforementioned weirdness associated with it and the intense finger pain that it caused me. Oh yeah, and I hated to practice. I thought that if I just went to my lesson every week, I would somehow become a guitar aficionado. This did not happen. I became frustrated. Decatur was also frustrated. I quit.

Then, during a brief time in college I tried again. This time I practiced. I wrote little ditties. One of which I remembered today:

I like, I like mmmmm salvation Through my, through my My vegan chocolate chip cookies and my hair hanging down hanging down all over town

Quality stuff. I wrote a lot of these. I still do, only now sans guitar.

I wish I had really learned to play the guitar. I'd be a sexy little folk/alt. country/R &B singer. I'd travel all around and perform my ditties.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment